Saturday, April 26, 2014

Bows | Easy DIY Ribbon Tutorial

I've had a few people ask me about the bows that I've made for Klair, so I finally got around to putting together a tutorial complete with pictures that my photographer husband took. This particular tutorial is for bows made out of ribbon. It is ridiculously easy and only requires a few simple hand stitches. It only takes a small amount of ribbon... a little goes a long way. I make them for my Klair, but they are versatile enough for women of all ages. They also make an easy, thoughtful baby shower gift! 

What You'll Need: 
  • Ribbon of your choice (I used 1 1/2 inch ribbon) 
  • Needle and Thread
  • Scissors

1. Cut the Ribbon to your desired length. The length I used is shown below (about 6 inches). 
 2. Fold the sides of the ribbon inward ("hamburger style"), meeting in the middle with a little bit of overlap.
 3. Use a simple straight stitch to sew it all together. 
 4. Cut a small piece of the ribbon (mine is about an inch) and set aside. 
5. Take the larger piece of ribbon, and fold it accordion style, and pinch the folds together to give your bow shape. You can play around with this a little to get the desired look. With a bow this size I made three folds and pinched it together. 
 6. Take your needle and sew through the folds to keep it in place. Don't worry about making it look particularly neat, because the little piece of ribbon will cover it up. Just make it durable. 
 7. Take your little piece of ribbon and fold the sides inward (like step 2). 
8. Wrap the smaller piece of ribbon around the center of the larger piece, and hand-stitch it in place on the backside of your bow. 
Once this is nice and secure, cut the thread and you're done! 

You can sew or hot glue them directly onto headbands, clips, bobby pins, etc.  For Klair, I prefer to attach them to metal hair clips by simply sliding the clip through the smaller bit of ribbon in the back of the bow. 
 Let me know if you have any questions. Happy crafting! 

6 comments:

  1. SO darn cute!! You make it look so easy. I never even learned how to sew a freaking button back on my coats, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are so so easy. I'm not a big sewer, but this was a great project to practice on because the worst thing that can happen is you waste a little ribbon.

      Delete
  2. ^^I agree about not being able to sew buttons on, but I think I can manage this. Probably. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I always poke myself with the needle when I try to sew a button! Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and appreciate every comment. Look back for a reply.