Thursday, February 13, 2014

Flourless/Gluten-Free Chewy Chocolate Cookies | Whole Foods Copycat Recipe



It's been a long week. 

My husband was working out of town for most of it, my baby has been sick and teething, 
I've been sick with a cold that has overstayed the welcome it never had. 
It's been one of those weeks. 
Like having a bad hair day... Groundhog Day style. 

So, tonight I needed something good--some kind of comfort food. 
I needed a pick me up. 
Baking is therapy for me. And chocolate is medicine. 
Thus, I visited my trusty Pinterest board and scanned the recipes for something to speak to me.
And, this copycat of the Whole Foods favorite... 
Well, they practically shouted my name from the rooftops

They were exactly what my tired soul longed for. 

And, I'll tell you now, it was LOVE at first "bite." 

Oh, and the best part? They're ridiculously easy. 
I had all of the ingredients in my pantry already.

Heeeey! Does that make them eco-friendly? Since I didn't have to drive to the store? #greencookies #thatmaybeastretch ....

Regardless, they're oh so yummy.
Nice and crisp on the outside, and decadently, perfectly gooey in the middle.

So here is how it's done:

Flourless Chewy Chocolate Cookies
3 C powdered sugar
1/2 C plus 3 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 TB vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (apparently they stick like crazy without it, so if you don't have parchment paper use lots of cooking spray)

Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a bowl. Add egg whites and vanilla and beat on high for 2 minutes, until a light stiffness forms.

Drop batter by the tablespoonful in evenly spaced mounds. Bake until glossy, about 15-20 minutes. Immediately move cookies onto cooling racks (I like to air on the side of caution because I prefer gooey cookies to crunchy ones, so I went with 15 and they turned out beautifully)

This recipe yielded about 2 dozen cookies. According to Brittany Rose White that's about 60-75 calories a piece. 


Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try these. (And, by the way, the phrase is "to err on the side of caution" not "to air on the side of caution.")

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and appreciate every comment. Look back for a reply.