Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bear Lake Weekend Getaway

Sam and I spent a relaxing weekend in a cabin at Bear Lake with some friends. The lake is several hours from where we live, and it made for a fun little road trip and a much needed getaway; however, it was the first time I've spent time away from Klair (Sam travels for work so he's used to being away from her). This was both a good thing, and a hard thing. Apart from one time that she spent the night at her grandparents, I've never slept apart from her. Leaving her for  three days was something I looked forward to, and dreaded. It's funny how a person can experience such polar opposite emotions simultaneously. I knew that if we brought her, it wouldn't feel like much of a vacation. I would have been doing the same thing I always do, but in a place that wasn't baby proofed. Giving her to Sam's parents for the weekend was the only thing that made sense, but sound logic didn't make it any easier.

Luckily, Baby Girl has amazing grandparents who love her dearly, so I knew she was in good hands. This helped ease my reluctance at leaving her, but the separation was still a strange experience. Yet, despite my anxiousness at being apart, I did fairly well. I'll admit that there were a few times that I would have jumped in the car and driven home on a whim if Sam was game, but all-in-all I enjoyed the baby-free time. I also found solace knowing that she was being spoiled while I was away. And, let's face it. Sam and I needed some distraction-free time together.
it. was. nice.   
Our cabin was a big, awesome place fully equipped with a gourmet kitchen, pool table, movie theater room, and a spectacular view of the lake.
Sam was the one who found it, and he did a great job planning everything and putting it all together. I had expressed interest in doing a trip like this, and he immediately started planning and went above and beyond. I suppose it's just one of the perks of being married to a man who spends a lot of time doing event marketing. I really am spoiled.

We arrived Friday and got settled just before a blizzard set in. Perfect timing. 
The weather was ideal for sitting around the fire, playing games, watching movies, and enjoying good conversation--which is precisely what we did. We also found some time to take some scenic drives, hikes, and a few pictures along the way. Our photographer friend Jesse Wride brought his camera and was kind enough to take lots of photographic evidence of our adventures.

All of the photos in this post (with the exception of a few from Sam's phone) are his handiwork. 
It was windy, yet somehow my hair was the only one affected. Apparently I need to ask these girls what kind of hairspray they use. 
The group celebrated Brittney's birthday at this awesome local restaurant we found. She's the cute blonde in the corner, and you can follow her blog here. 
The trip was a huge success. I was able to relax, spend some quality time with Sam, and strengthened some friendships. I also spent just enough time away from Klair to mix things up and make me excited...no, ecstatic to get back to her. And, of course, the lake was beautiful.  Apparently it has a minerals in it that aren't found anywhere else in the world that turn it a unique blue.
It didn't look real. 

I had never been to Bear Lake before, but now I definitely want to go back.

12 comments:

  1. how fun!!! good for you for getting away with just the two of you! i'm excited for when we do that but nervous too! and I LOVE LOVE your glasses and top bun - you are SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katie! It was a ton of fun to get away and feel less mom-like and a little more carefree... Although let's face it. We moms can never be totally carefree anymore. I'm excited for you to be able to do it too though. I think it's necessary in whatever increment of time you feel good about.

      Delete
  2. Where do I begin? How fun! That lake looks gorgeous. And how neat to get some couple photos done! And I agree: if you take your job with you, it's not really a vacation. ;) Glad you had such a fun time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie! It's true. I was really tempted to bring her along, but then we'd be spending money for me to do the same thing as always away from home... Which would actually be harder. Also I like how you called it work. It really is our job as moms!

      Delete
  3. Love that last picture, so sweet :)
    Sounds like such a nice break!!

    Emma
    www.emmacristy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great weekend getaway!! My husband and I went to Bear Lake a few summers ago. You'll have to go back when the weather gets warmer and rent jet skis. I still dream of the delicious Raspberry shakes they serve!! It sure is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that sounds so wonderful. I would love to swim in that beautiful blue water when it's warm! And I saw signs for the raspberry shakes, I'm regretting not trying them now. Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete
  5. beautiful photos! Looks like a great time! Glad Klair has some amazing grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad too. They spoil her :)

      Delete
  6. You are seriously gorgeous and the most darling couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Victoria! I think the same of you and your cute hubby :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and appreciate every comment. Look back for a reply.